Monday, October 13, 2008

Join The Conversation

Join the Conversation
By Joseph Jaffe
(Wiley Books)


I’ve heard Joseph Jaffe talk. And he writes like he talks. A lot.

This is a book about the wave of new media that is sweeping the world and how marketers can learn to cope with it. Consumers are having conversations and brands need to find ways to join in. That’s the gist.

I did find the “conversational” style of writing a bit irritating simply because it makes the volume needlessly thick.

But I loved the book. Here’s why:

  1. Most seminar speakers at new media conferences are just trend watchers. They just commentate. Jaffe is different. He is a trend creator. He keeps trying new things and tells us what he’s learnt. May his tribe increase.
  2. This is a field where the knowledge changes every month. And very few have the courage to write a book on a subject where the content is perishable. Jaffe is brave. He puts out ideas that run the risk of being outdated rather soon.
  3. It is loaded with lengthy stories about recent Internet phenomena like Fedex furniture, Coke-Mentos shows and more.
  4. Jaffe is provocative. I learnt some things by disagreeing with him.
As a creative guy, I read his earlier book “Life after the 30 second Commercial” with a sneer on my face. A year later I found my agency new film reel had shrunk. That’s why I fully understood the import of “Join the Conversation”.

I tell you this - read both the books quickly if you want to be on the bus. And understand his next one.

I’m sure he’s wrapping up new tome.

As I said in the beginning, Jaffe has a lot to say.

Posted by Thomas

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jaffe is the bomb.

Check out his Jaffe Juice Blog and podcast as well.

And if you like it, Mitch Joel's Six Pixels of Separation Blog and Podcast are awesome and give our Ten Golden Rules blog and podcast a test drive.
http://www.TenGoldenRules.com