Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stephen King's The Shining

I vividly remember starting this Stephen King book a summer evening about 10 years ago. I remember it as the only book I really read in a single sitting. The only reason I did that was really because I was too busy getting petrified to stop reading.

The plot is so riveting, and the horror so vivid, that I remember my reading posture slowly but surely changing. By the time I had finished it, it was almost dawn and I found myself sitting crouched in the corner of my bed, back to the wall – and all the lights blazing bright! It is the scariest piece of writing I have ever read.

A couple of years later, I saw Kubrick’s movie version with Jack Nicholson in the lead. Really great movie, if you’ve not read the book. But not half as scary as reading the thing.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a copy of The Shining from my neighborhood library. And the book is still extremely scary. Although I took small breaks whilst reading it this time… it still managed to thoroughly creep me out.

Without letting the cat out of the bag, here’s a little something that will give you a small inkling of the story...

Jack Torrance is a frustrated writer and recovering alcoholic who goes with his wife and son to spend the winter in the isolated Overlook Hotel in an attempt to get the novel he has always wanted to write started. But the hotel's grisly past and unique ghosts have their way with him.

At one point his wife Wendy eventually finds that the manuscript he has been working on actually only contains the phrase "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", typed over and over again.

The Shining is filled with more horror scenes that have the tendency to make it truly unsettling. A must read, if you have not read it before.

Posted by Harish

No comments: