Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Time for a softer MBA

With the fracas around judging errors in Goafest 2010, advertising has become a profession that’s been grabbing the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

I’m going to skirt this topic for just one reason. Our clients don’t care about it.

Instead I want to bring up a topic that is relevant as we are at the start of the new academic year.


Ever since the economy opened up, and that’s almost 2 decades ago, marketing as profession has matured in India. Scores of youngsters, many of them MBAs, now handle responsibilities ranging from product management, advertising, promotions, to exhibitions, new media etc. They take decisions worth millions of rupees, many of which determine the fate of the brand. A sizeable percentage of these decisions are “aesthetic” decisions. My question is, how is business education preparing them to take such subjective calls?


The last time I checked, no MBA course covers graphic design adequately. Yet, these graduates sit on judgment on expensive advertising campaigns, effecting changes without knowing the aesthetic implications. Most of the time the quality of the verdict depends on individual right brain competencies that formal business education has not ventured to deal in. So if the marketing professional is a music enthusiast, chances are his inputs on a jingle is likely to be worthwhile. Else he might actually be ruining a good thing. Now imagine if the project at hand is a multi million rupee commercial.

So, for a start, I recommend that MBA education must include comprehensive courses in Graphic Design, Music, Cinema and Art. Thereby the marketing person can take informed calls on aesthetics. In fact, the creative folk will begin to see him as an insider.

Expanding the argument further, I’d say that our MBA education comes woefully short when it comes to developing right brain competencies. Studies across the world have shown that this is what distinguishes the top performers in many sectors. Einstein’s scientific thinking was aided in large measure by his mastery over the violin. Dr. Raja Ramanna, one of the founding fathers of India’s success in nuclear energy, was an accomplished pianist. I strongly urge the IIMs to loosen up a bit and bring a sense of play into business education. Teach subjects that inspire the individual to thrive in his strengths. I read that IIM Bangalore plans to introduce the Bhagvad Gita as part of the curriculum. This is an inspired move, in my opinion. Daniel Pink in his book “A Whole New Mind” says that in the new age, people who have majored in fine arts will rule the business profession. While he is not to be taken literally, what he implies is that mere factual knowledge is not going to build leaders. Those who can rise above all this, into realm of “artistry”, they are the ones who will change the world.


The sum of my argument is this. At the core of business profession is creativity. It’s time business education prepared students for this.


Posted by Monica

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is actually written by Thomas, and it was published in the Indian Express on June 1st 2010.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why you need to have a person with degree to enter into the segment. The wisdom in advertising is not limited to management principles. It comprises of Psychology, Market Research, Creativity, Political consciousness among others. Correct me if I am wrong.
I would like to be in this industry. But I am sure I can learn more in the industry in 2 years than the B-schools after paying 10L rs.
Any opinions ?

Unknown said...

I am in full agreement with what you say! Well, that is the case that exists from the education system as a whole. As kids most us have this fascination with colours and random images that in our own way make sense! But as we grow up, our "formal" education system grooms us to think and do the "right" things i.e. using our left brain to go by facts and data. In this whole process, we completely lose out on developing a thought process, which eventually leads to a case such as the above one you have mentioned!

abhinav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ultra low temperature freezers said...

That makes a lot of sense to me. Can be very possible for my system.

Gopu Hemanth Kumar Reddy said...

Mam, I am Doing MBA from pondicherry university and a post graduate diploma in Mass communications from the same university, I think your article depicts the same combination. I am very much interested in advertising and marketing field. Please tell me about opportunities in your company.my mail id is gopuhemanthkumar@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I am a graphic designer... and i did an MBA. I very much agree with this post. And i am looking to go abroad right now... please check http://ricardoseixas.pt/
Thanks.

joomla development said...

This post is really sweetest on this notable topic. I harmonise with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Keep posting good blogs. Thanks.

randy said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387@gmail.com

Appliance Repair Los Angeles said...

great new for all home owners needs appliance repair services Appliance Repair services in Los Angeles at (800)350-0224.

Unknown said...

I agree with everything you said above. Just want to drop this litlle liky :) Appliance repair services in Los Angeles

EZ Appliance Repair Inc said...

Get in touch with Appliance Repair Los Angeles when you need help!

Aquaguard Customer Care Service Number said...

Super helpful post. Thank you,

Rusli M. Jamal said...

Your blog is great and worthy to be followed, what about my blog, please provide comments and suggestions http://membinakeluargasamara.blogspot.com/