- I want to have that step-cut I was prohibited from having as a teen.
- I want to, just one last time, ride a bicycle without a headlight, after sunset.
- I want to get into my size 30 Levi’s 501s and sing a karaoke without my voice going up an octave.
- I want to see 3 continuous shows of A Few Good Men at Rex on a Sunday. And NOT complain of migraine.
- I want to call up Venky who was my mate at IIM, Bangalore and return the 250 bucks I owe him.
- Ok, add Eswar, Ashok, and T.P. George to that list.
- I want to apologize to Sonia for not turning up for dinner at her home 12 years ago. I never called to explain my whimsical absence.
- I want read the entire collection of Hardy Boys again.
- I want to understand Salman Rushdie’s fiction.
- Finally, I want to go back to all the parties where I stood tongue tied, with the repartees I have thought of since.
There I’ve done it. I already feel younger. I am going to start on this list now.
But not before I send this note to the folks upstairs: “Dear Mrs. Kumar, in the days to come if you hear a poor rendition of Song Sung Blue do not shtock my ceiling with a mop handle. It’s just a man trying to age gracefully.”